UK Traffic News launches the 100 MPG Plus Club!
When we founded UK Traffic News in 2009 the main reason was to try and help people avoid traffic delays and traffic jams because sitting in traffic is:
- not environmentally friendly
- is stressful
- a waste of fuel which is a natural resource we need to not waste
- a waste of precious time
So www.UKTrafficNews.co.uk was launched and 2014 is our 5th anniversary.
Over the last five years we have spent hundreds and hundreds of hours publishing and developing our website, improving it and expanding it. It is an ongoing and expanding project to make finding traffic news easy and quick for the roads you are interested in.
We also feature other motoring information as well as traffic new now.
We want to do our bit to encourage car makers to produce affordable, low CO2, high MPG cars for UK roads.
The 100 MPG Plus Club Is Born
So we are launching the "100 MPG Plus Club".
We will be adding a special section to our website for cars available in the UK that do 100 MPG or more and meet the following criteria:
- Normal production car actually on sale in the UK
- Actually do 100 MPG or more with normal road use (see below)
- Must be fuelled only at normal roadside garage (e.g. not plugged into the mains electricity at home) (see below)
- Have CO2 emissions of 100 g/km or less
All of the above criteria must be met for a car model to get into the 100 MPG Plus Club.
That is the basic criteria for a car to be featured in our 100 MPG Plus Club.
However we will award additional bonus points to cars that meet each of the following criteria:
- Under 75 g/km CO2 - bonus point
- Under 50 g/km CO2 - extra Bonus point
- Manufactured in the UK - bonus point
- Each whole 5 MPG over 100 MPG - bonus point for each 5 MPG
- UK List price (on the road) Under £25,000 - bonus point
- UK List price (on the road) Under £20,000 - extra bonus point
It must be possible to fully fuel the car at a normal roadside mainstream garage, e.g ESSO, BP etc. in under 15 minutes, i.e. not have to sit a wait for batteries to charge up for extended periods of time.
MPG achieved must be based on:
- either on what we at UK Traffic News have actually tested over 500 miles of normal road use
- or that at least three owners of the make and model of car have certified to UK Traffic News that they are actually achieved with their car over 500 miles of normal road use.
- NOT manufacturer claimed average MPG.
The above criteria will be used to create a league table of the most Eco friendly, high MPG (miles per gallon), affordable cars available in the UK.
We need your help reporting to us at UK Traffic News your findings if you know of cars that qualify to enter the 100 MPG Plus Club.
Let us know on Twitter.com/UKTrafficNews (@UKTrafficNews) with #100MPGPlusClub or in our motoring forum, comment on this blog post or use our contact us page.
As far as we are aware there is currently no normal production car on sale in the UK that currently meets even the basic criteria for entry in the "100 MPG Plus Club".
But we want to start featuring cars that do as soon as possible.
Mention the #100MPGPLUSCLUB on Twitter if you want to support this and encourage car makers to make affordable, practical, high MPG, low CO2 cars.
Please help in the drive this campaign for more efficient eco friendly cars in the UK.